General Information About The Gem Project Interactive Literacy Program:
An after-school program, Gem Project volunteers lead an interactive literacy program that involves a discussion, reading/ writing session, and an interactive activity centered on a particular theme each month at a participating site such as library, youth center, or school. Gem Project volunteers run this project on a weekly basis, while traveling to different sites each week. The sessions for this program are youth ages 4-8 and 9-12. One session lasts for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Sites at libraries are reserved for Wednesdays.
Lesson Plan: Anti-Bullying (October 2012)
- Have each young child anonymously complete a bully indication survey
- Lead a discussion to find how much each child knows about bullying
- Read and/or perform a bullying skit or exercise
- Discuss the exercise
- Understand the following types of bullying: verbal, emotional, physical, and cyber-bullying
- Learn to draw spider webs of solutions and scenarios of the different types of bullying discussed
- Participate in an anti-bullying group comic book (optional)
Due to resources and space, you must RSVP to have your child participate and/or volunteer to be a part of the program. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for the most current site availability or call: 973-506-9275.